top of page

Match Report - 1st XI v Weirside Rangers

After last weeks last gasp win we travelled down to Weirside in what was the biggest early kick off game in the country that day forget the one at Wembley. Due to Power’s educational devotion we were forced into a change of shape opting for a 4-3-3. We were nearly ahead inside 10 seconds as Chalky gambled on Jackos long ball from kick off and lifted the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper but just over the bar. As we quickly then found out, the pitch was an absolute shocker. Little to no grass and very dry meaning the ball was bobbling all over the place. Weirside played the conditions better, looking for balls down the channel and into the big striker to get them up the pitch. They forced a number of corners which were woefully taken every time and missed a couple of guilt edged chances in the closing stages of the first half - one in particular due to a cracking goal line challenge from Matty. We knew we would have to play better in the second half to come away with anything and we did start brighter drawing their keeper into a couple of saves. Seany had his legs taken from under his body in the oppo area but no foul was given. Then disaster struck. Jacko who had been marshalling the unit of a striker the whole game went to ground with him and ended up with one of the worst arm breaks you will see - although you wouldn’t of thought it when he calmly got up and said ‘ref can you stop the game I’ve broken my arm’. With Chalky being a hero and driving Jacko to hospital we were left with a bare 11 for the last half hour. It would have been easy for us to not fancy it after seeing Jackos arm and being down to 11 but it meant we wanted it even more. Matty produced another goal line clearance and Elsey drew the keeper into a phenomenal save after a wicked bobble off the turf. Then at a similar stage of the game to Elsey’s effort last week, Simon, who had looked very lively down the left since coming on, produced the goods robbing the centre back and racing through on goal to tuck one past the keeper. There was some more resolute defending to do with jimmy making some important challenges down our left hand side and pel dealing well with some dangerous corner deliveries. Full time whistle went and we knew how big the win was. With the pitch and the injury we were up against it but yet again we showed unbelievable team spirit to grind out a result. It goes without saying that the win is dedicated to Jacko as a condolence to not being able to play golf.

No game next weekend and then 3 cup finals for us. It is in our hands now and if we can bring our never say die attitude into all 3 of them we will be half way there. COYS 💙💛 MOTM: Matt and Si

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page